The Professional Personal Chef
The Definitive Textbook for Personal Chefs
APPCA founder and executive director Candy Wallace pens The Professional Personal Chef: The Business of Doing Business as a Personal Chef (Wiley, 2007). Releasing February 27, this textbook is the first of its kind.
“I wrote the book as a definitive curriculum for individuals looking for direction in seeking out a career as a personal chef,” says Wallace. “This textbook is for those who are in culinary school, or exploring bookstores and Web sites seeking direction on how to become a successful personal chef.”
In its 224 insightful pages, The Professional Personal Chef not only offers a primer on what it takes to launch a thriving personal-chef business, but offers shrewd case studies from personal chefs. These case studies serve up valuable in-the-trenches anecdotes about the real work and world of professional personal chefs.
This textbook draws on Wallace’s 13 years of experience teaching live seminars—aptly titled “The Business of Doing Business as a Personal Chef.” The Professional Personal Chef is a straightforward, insightful business plan, but what makes it a must-read is what’s found between the lines—Wallace’s palpable commitment to the success of the personal chef.
- Practical From the Field case studies showcase how successful personal chefs deal with the issues presented.
- Complete instructor supplement package contains a test bank, PowerPoint presentations, teaching notes, project suggestions, and 6-, 10-, and 15-week sample syllabi.
Table of Contents: See Excerpts
- Chapter 1. The Evolution of the Personal Chef
- Chapter 2. Forms of Ownership
- Chapter 3. Operating Legally
- Chapter 4. The Business Plan
- Chapter 5. The Big 3
- Chapter 6. Finances
- Chapter 7. Identifying Your Market
- Chapter 8. Sales & Service Process
- Chapter 9. Marketing
- Chapter 10. Customer Service
- Chapter 11. A Day in the Life of a Personal Chef
- Chapter 12. Revenue Streams
About the Authors
Candy Wallace is the founder and executive director of the American Personal & Private Chef Association (APPCA) and Institute (APPCI) based in San Diego. She has been teaching the business of being a personal chef to culinary students and second-career professionals nationally for the past 13 years. Chef Wallace is recognized as the leading authority on the subject in the United States. In 2003, she was awarded the International Association of Culinary Professional (IACP) Award for excellence as Businessperson/Entrepreneur of the year.
Greg Forte, CEC, CCE, AAC, is the former director of the Utah Culinary Institute at Utah Valley State College, Orem. Chef Forte has been teaching culinary arts to students for more than 20 years. He is a co-author of Electric Bread (Innovative Cooking Enterprises, 1997).
ORDER The Professional Personal Chef