Recipe By : Candy Wallace
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
3/4 Pound Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts -- Fat Trimmed
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper -- To Taste
2 Onions -- Sliced Thin
4 Cloves Garlic -- Minced
10 Ounces Fresh White Mushrooms -- Trimmed/Thinly Sliced
1 Large Red Bell Pepper, Cut Into 1/2-Inch Dice
1 28 Oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley Leaves -- Minced
1 pkg. Dried Lasagna Noodles (18)
1 Pound Mozzarella Cheese -- Shredded
1 Recipe Egg Pasta or Spinach Pasta (See Index)
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add chicken, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, and cook over medium heat until browned, about 6 minutes. Turn chicken, sprinkle again with salt and pepper, and cook until fully cooked, about 5 minutes more. Remove chicken from pan. When cool, shred chicken and set aside.
2. Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to pan along with onions. Saute until onions are wilted and beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more. Add red pepper and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Add chicken and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
3. cook and drain pasta. Preheat oven to 400F.
4. Grease a 13"x 9" lasagna pan. Smear several tablespoons of tomato sauce (without large chunks of chicken or vegetables) across bottom. Line bottom with a layer of pasta, making sure noodles touch but do not overlap. Spread 1 cup sauce over pasta and sprinkle with 2/3 cup cheese. Repeat layering of pasta, sauce , and cheese four more times. For the sixth layer, sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese over noodles.
5. Bake for 20 minutes. At this point this recipe MAY BE FROZEN for the client to bake.
Cool before freezing.
Defrost, Overnight in the Refrigerator, prior to baking.
6. Bake lasagna until cheese turns golden brown in spots and sauce is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven, let lasagna settle for 5 minutes and serve immediately.
NOTES : The word cacciatore is Italian for "hunter" and when used in recipes refers to a tomato-based sauce that is hearty enough to satisfy after a day in the woods. In this version, sauteed skinless chicken breasts are paired with a vegetable-packed tomato sauce to make a hearty and healthy classic. Once the chicken is browned, set it aside and build the sauce in the same pan to save on cleanup.
American Personal Chef Association & Institute
4572 Delaware Street
San Diego, CA 92116
All rights reserved. © 1996-2006 Updated 1/04/06.